What is Awareness Through the Body (ATB)?
An Integral yoga practice that enhances concentration, relaxation and self-knowledge in children and adults.
ATB started in July 1992 in the schools of Auroville as a program to help children increase their capacity for attention, concentration and relaxation, and to enhance their ability for self awareness and their sense of responsibility. Nowadays, it is offered to adults as well as to children.
Through a wide variety of exercises and games, ATB offers individuals opportunities to come to know themselves better, to explore the complexity of their being, and find ways to integrate and harmonize this complexity around the inmost center of their being.
Awareness Through the Body aims to provide tools for individuals to expand their consciousness, explore the different plains of their being, discover their inner selves and, eventually, their psychic being. Along with this, we want to offer individuals an opportunity to refine and internalize the senses and become aware of their own perceptions with as little outside interference as possible. Using their senses in a more complete way, free from judgment and preconceived ideas, individuals will be able to better manage their mind and emotions, to determine how to steer their own lives and to create their own “owner’s manual”.
- Become aware of the witness attitude and begin to cultivate it.
- Develop awareness of the different levels of consciousness.
- Develop an awareness of the inner and outer space.
- Develop awareness of the interactions between the different parts of the being.
- Understand the use of oneself, and accept one’s own limits and those of others.
- Develop a heightened sense of respect, responsibility, trust, self-confidence, patience, concern and awareness for one’s own timing or pace and that of others.
- Enhance concentration and focus, and the capacity for being present.
- Develop listening for meaning.
- Develop awareness of the physical structure so as to be able to more effectively use ourselves.
- Refine the senses, internalize them, and develop the kinaesthetic sense.
- Develop subjective sensory landmarks.
- Learn how to explore, understand and manage emotions.
- Become aware of breathing patterns, their effects on the various parts of the being, and how breath can be used to affect changes within the self.
- Improve the capacity to adapt and be flexible.
- Develop a sense of how to better collaborate with others.
Principles of work
- Be aware of the different planes of the being and their interrelation.
- Teaching, as well as learning, is always a dialogue.
- Everything is an opportunity for expanding awareness.
- Be in the moment without taking anything for granted.
- Take, give and expect the appropriate amount of responsibility.
- Find your own pace and inner patterns.
- Become aware of the inner and outer space simultaneously.
- Find your own subjective sensory landmarks.
For more information:
Click here to find information about the different seminars in Europe, Central and South America and India.